Simple Dial Plan for a Small Business & Medical Office VoIP Implementation
While Interactive Voice Response (IVR) and Auto Attendant can be utilized with our hosted VoIP system, I found that a lot of small businesses and medical offices prefer to have all inbound calls ring individual or call groups directly. However, lot of customers have asked for an IVR and Auto Attendant for their night greetings giving the callers menu of options to choose from.
Therefore, a sample dial plan configuration for both Day and Night Greeting / Menu is provided below.
Day IVR for Incoming Calls during the Day
- Rings Receptionist Phone for 30 seconds (6-7 rings)
- If no Answer, rings other phones in sequence or simultaneously for 30 seconds
- Playback a Greeting that states there are high volume of calls
- Gives option to hit “0” and leave a Voicemail
- Gives option to stay online and someone will answer shortly
- Rings the designated extension for 30 seconds before playing the message again
- Repeat the above sequence until the phone is answered or the caller leaves a voicemail
- Press 9 to Dial by Name
- Punch in 3 digits of First or Last Name and the call will be transferred to the destination
- If no input from caller, plays the greeting menu again
This will repeat until the call gets answered by the Receptionist, call is transferred to an extension via Dial by Name, or the caller leaves a voicemail.
Night IVR for Incoming Calls After-Hours:
- Playback a Greeting that states the office is closed
- Gives option to hit “0” and it will forward the call to a specific number which could be an afterhours support person
- After Playback, call will be transferred to Voicemail
The Dial Plan for Small Business VoIP implementation should also allow for the following necessary features:
- BLF or Presence monitoring by the receptionist: This allows the receptionist to know if a specific employee or extension is busy or available.
- Transfer directly to voicemail: If the employee is not able to take the call, receptionist should be able to transfer the call directly to his/her voicemail.
- Call Parking: If the caller is not available at the desk, incoming call can be transferred to a parking lot where the person they are looking for can dial the parking lot extension and be connected anywhere.
- Voicemail to Email and Remote Access: This feature should be enabled so that a voicemail left can be emailed to the employee allowing them to check it with a smartphone or any email source. The Dial Plan should also allow remote access to the voicemails so the employee can call in and check their voicemails.
Above configuration is suitable for most small businesses. However, the beauty of hosted VoIP systems is that it is highly customizable to fit your needs. Thus, the Dial Plan can be custom configured to enhance productivity and user experience.
About Express Interconnect: We are a Portland, Oregon based Small Business VoIP Phone Consultant specializing in implementing quality VoIP PBX system based on Asterisk IP PBX. We can be reached at 503-820-3513 or via email at: support@ExpressInterconnect.com and can help with any questions you might have.
Due to Demand, we have finally branched out into Hosted VoIP Phone Service for Small Businesses. Our Hosted VoIP Service provides full Asterisk IP PBX functionality in a simple Plug and Play system.
Also, please make sure to visit our on-line store at VoIP Phones Direct for all of your IP Phone needs. We carry Grandstream, Polycom, Snom, Aastra, and Yealink IP Phones with a 14 day money back guarantee and FREE UPS Ground Shipping.
Share and Enjoy